DA Systems SEC_C4M3R4 - Pt.1

Work In Progress / 14 August 2023

DA Systems SEC_C4M3R4

I started working on a lil security camera a while back as a reintroduction to Blender while also working on some texturing and presentation skills. I've gotten feedback in the past about being more playful and exploratory in the presentation of my pieces. So here's a lil one to play around with!

Originally I was planning on texturing it with some retro-scifi (Simon Stålenhag) direction in mind, we'll see how the final render ideas come out!

________________________________________________________

I've been working on this a bit off and on when I've had the time to, and started out with that in mind. So when I first began modeling for this project, I went pretty basic in order to get through the modelling stages quickly, making the model as plain as possible to get to texturing as fast as possible.

As it turned out, the thing I ended up with was a bit too basic for my liking, so back to the drawing board I went. Thanks to some feedback in the Beyond Extent Discord I got a Miro board with some more interesting references up and running. Not only for modelling, but also for presentation! I didn't want to make any exact model of camera. Instead, I ended up merging a few together to create my own. Apart from this, I quickly sketched out an additional battery pack in case I wanted to have an addon for the camera in the future.

After some final adjustments to the silhouette, as well as some panel lines in the base mesh itself, I took it into ZBrush to create the highpoly. Here I followed my standard workflow of creasing based on angle, subdividing, dynameshing and polishing edges. For this I also took the opportunity to add some screws and sketched out some additional panel lines to make it feel like the camera was built from several pieces, instead of being molded into one solid piece.

After this I decimated the highpoly at quite a harsh number to get it super low, and then brought it back into Blender. Here, I used the decimated highpoly as a blueprint for my lowpoly which used my basemesh which I subdivided with some edge creases to get it to a nice smoothness. I then started deleting unneccessary loops to get it to a more game ready polycount, still very much keeping in mind that I want to preserve as smooth shapes as possible and not be too crunchy with the numbers. This as I'm focusing more on making the asset look good, rather than as optimized as it can possibly be.

And this brings us to the present day! I still have to optimize the glass and adjust the overlap of verts between the high- and lowpoly. But other than that we're ready to move onto UVs! Thanks for reading this catch up and I'll see you in the next one!